Saturday, September 20, 2008

A matter of time

These days we have busy lives, jam-packed with work and family and leisure activities. It always seems hard to find the time to catch up with friends, to make that phone call or get together for lunch.

And then you add writing to the mix and blow all the circuits.

Writing has to be the most insanely time hungry activity ever dreamed up. It takes me so long to write a first draft, and that doesn't include all the time thinking, dreaming, brainstorming and outlining. And of course, a first draft is just a start. A very good start, much better than a blank page, but nowhere near the finished product.

It makes you wonder what people who don't write actually do with their time. They must have loads of the stuff.

It does sometimes seem crazy to invest all this time in such a bizarre pursuit.

But after asking myself the question many times over the years, at least I know why I write. I like it. It's fun. And that's good enough for me.

At least, for now.

No comments: