Friday, September 12, 2008

Word of the day

I love words. Love playing with them, rearranging them, using them, admiring them. I’d eat them if I could. So I’m going to start sharing those that particularly take my fancy.

My word of the day is efficacy.

Wikipedia definition:

"Efficacy is the capacity to produce a desired size of an effect under ideal or optimal conditions. It is these conditions that distinguish efficacy from the related concept of effectiveness, which relates to change under real-life conditions. "

I love that word! While I was studying for my equine science degree I met it almost daily, but it has now become one of those friends you sort of lose touch with.

Yet I remain true.

A word I used to great effect in my uni assignments. A word I miss. Not a word I’m likely to use much in my fantasy romance writing.

Hmm. The possibilities...

1 comment:

Erica Hayes said...

Possibilities?? 'Fraid I'm not seeing many ;)

I understood about one word in three of that definition. So it's possible to be completely efficacious, yet totally ineffective at the same time?

'Actually, my dear, my technique is a model of efficacy. You're just an ugly tart.'

??